William Mantle Barber
William Mantle Barber was the third of the eight children of Josiah Barber and his first wife Mary Mantle of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Like his father, William worked as a 'Hedger' and 'Woodman' in the Ely area, a role that would also be taken up by some of his sons.
He married widow Mary Dench (née Mary Neale) in 1847, and the couple soon settled down to raise a family of six children.
At least one of William and Mary's children (William Barber) emigrated to Australia in the early 1880s, but he returned with his family by 1894, and headed north to Lancashire where his brother Robert also lived.
William Snr remained in Ely and died in June 1890. His widow Mary out-lived him by 28 years.
- 1826 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 4th March 1826 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mary Dench (1825-1918) on 5th October 1847 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Josiah Barber (1849-?)
- William Barber (1851-1919) married Ann Houghton (1853-1876) and later to Mary Jane Maris (1857-1933)
- Ann Barber (1854-1911) married Abraham Smith (18??-?)
- John Barber (1857-?)
- Robert Barber (1859-1929) married Selina Burrows (1862-1917)
- Wenham Barber (1864-1920)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 15yrs, Cuckold's Haven, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: Not yet located.
- 1861: Ely census destroyed
- 1871: 45yrs, West End, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 55yrs, Cuckold's Haven, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1847: Labourer
- 1864: Hedger
- 1871: Woodman
- 1881: Hedger
- 13th June 1890 at West Fen Road, Ely,Cambridgeshire, England, aged 66 years.
- 16th June 1890 at Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, Grave C454[C].