Elijah Bishop was the seventh of the eight children of Joseph Bishop and his wife Elizabeth Clements of Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
Elijah married Elizabeth Sizer and the couple settled down in Soham and had six children, although they are noted as living at nearby hamlet Barway during the 1830's.
By the time of the 1851 census, they are living at Meer Side, Soham, and eventually moved to Hodges Hill for Elijah's final two censuses.
On the 1871 census, it is noted that they are joined by their married daughter Charlotte Brothwell and grandson Joseph Bishop, however, I can find no record of their daughter marrying a Mr. Brothwell (she's a spinster at her marriage in 1875), and I'm yet to identify the parents of Joseph. Was it Charlotte with a false married name, in a bid to hide the shame of illegitimacy?
Elijah died in 1878, and it is not clear whether Elizabeth survived him.
- During 1807 at Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Privately baptised on 18th May 1807 at St. Andrew's Church, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England
- Elizabeth Sizer (1816-?) on 20th April 1833 at St. Andrew's Church, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Susannah Bishop (1835-1840)
- Elizabeth Betsey Bishop (1837-?)
- Mary Bishop (1841-?) married Henry Blanchard (18??-?)
- Charlotte Bishop (1843-1921) married Charles Frederick Wingham (1852-1909)
- Elijah Bishop (1846)
- Harriet Bishop (1850-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 30yrs, Henny Farm, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 43yrs, Meer Side, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 52yrs, Hodges Hill, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 64yrs, Hodges Hill, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1841-1861: Agricultural Labourer
- 1875: Labourer
- December 1878 at Soham, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 73yrs.
- 26th December 1878 in grave F699/869/ at Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.