Kezia Bishop was the ninth of the eighteen children of James Simpson Bishop and his wife Ann Bailey Bowers of Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England.
Kezia, like many of her siblings, was born in the nearby village of Burwell, Cambridgeshire, where her Grandmother was living, and probably explains the connection.
When Kezia was twenty years old, her mother died, leaving the large young family of (the youngest being no more than two years old) in the charge of her widower James, a labourer, and their childless sister Sarah Bowers and her husband George Farby.
In 1891, Kezia was working and living at The Marquis of Granby public house in Newmarket. She also worked as an (undoubtedly unregistered) Midwife in Burwell for many years.
Kezia married Howarth Ellis, a gentleman's hairdresser from Burwell, and it was there that they raised their family of nine children. However, the family suffered the loss of their two oldest children (both sons) during the First World War, and a two further sons in the early 1920s. Despite this loss, the surviving children reached their mid-late 80s, and two reached into their 100s.
Howarth pre-deceased Kezia by 18 years in 1947, was was buried facing their family home. Kezia was buried alongside him in 1965.
- 1872 at Burwell, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 6th July 1873 at St. Lawrence's Church, Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Howarth Ellis (1868-1947) during late 1893 in the Newmarket District of Cambridgeshire, England.
- Joseph Howarth Ellis (1894-1914)
- William Ellis (1895-1918)
- Isabella Mary Ellis (1898-1999)
- Albert William Ellis (1900-1921)
- James Simpson Ellis (1902-1923)
- Winifred Louise Ellis (1904-1989) married William Ernest Meacham (1902-1971)
- Constance Ellis (1907-2007)
- Thomas Frederick Ellis (1910-1999) married Ivy Johnson (1914-1990)
- Margaret V Ellis (1912-2001) married Robert Browning (19??-?)
Census and Residence
- 1873: Priory Farm, Burwell, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 9yrs, High Street, Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 19yrs, The Marquis of Granby, Granby Street, Newmarket, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 29yrs, High Street, Burwell, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 39yrs, High Street, Burwell, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: General Servant at The Marquis of Granby (Public House) at Newmarket
- 19th March 1965 in Burwell, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 93 years.
- During March 1965, with her husband Howarth at St. Mary's Churchyard, Burwell, Cambridgeshire, England.