- Elizabeth Boulter 1854-1927
- illegitimate line
John (right) with his son Edward (left).
John was the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Boulter of Wentworth, Cambridgeshire.
When he was five years old, his mother married John Freeman Dewey of nearby Witchford. John hid his illegitimacy, which carried a huge social stigma for mother and child. He wrote 'John Boulter - deceased' as his father in the marriage register.
By 1891, John has moved to London, and appears on the census as a 'horsekeeper', boarding at the house of Thomas Dunham - also a horsekeeper and from Witchford, Cambridgeshire.
John married Alice Watts of Westminster, London, and the couple settled down to have a family of an eventual eleven children in Camberwell. This family consisted of seven sons and two daughters, although according to the 1911 census, two of their seven children at this time, had died in infancy. I've yet to discover who the two missing children are.
John is still noted as a 'horsekeeper' on the 1911 census, but he actually worked for the Corporation of London as a Groom and would often ride First Postilion on the Lord Mayor of London's coach during the annual Lord Mayor's show.
John enlisted in the Army Service Corps in 1914 at the age of 40yrs, and spent time in 1914 and 1916 in France.
8th May 1873, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire.
15th June 1873 at Wentworth, Cambridgeshire.
- Alice Watts (1878-1950) on 2nd August 1896, St Mary the Less church, Lambeth, London, England.
- John David Boulter (1897)
- John Thomas Boulter (1898-1974)
- Edward Mafeking Boulter (1901-1990)
- Ernest George Boulter (1903-1957)
- Arthur Robert Boulter (1905-1925)
- Sidney William Boulter (1908-1984)
- Horace Boulter (1911-1914)
- Ethel Elizabeth Boulter (1913-?)
- Elsie Winifred Boulter (1918-1997)
- Dennis Bert Boulter (1921-2010)
- unknown (?-bef.1911)
- 1881: 7yrs, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 18yrs, 15 Remington (?) Street, St Luke's, London, England.
- 1901: 27yrs, 133 Victoria Road, Camberwell, London, England.
- 1911: 35yrs, 29 Bellenden Road, Peckham, London, England.
During 1955 in Camberwell, London, England. Aged 82yrs.
1955, location not known.