- Elizabeth Boulter 1854-1927
- illegitimate line
John Boulter (right) with his son Edward (left).
John Boulter was the illegitimate son of dairymaid Elizabeth Boulter of Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
When he was five years old, his mother married John Freeman Dewey of nearby Witchford. John hid his illegitimacy, which carried a huge social stigma for mother and child. In some censuses he appears as John Dewey. He wrote 'John Boulter - deceased' as his father in the marriage register.
By 1891, John has moved to London, and appears on the census as a 'horsekeeper', boarding at the house of Thomas Dunham - also a horsekeeper and from Witchford, Cambridgeshire.
John married Alice Watts of Westminster, London, and the couple settled down to have a family of an eventual eleven children in Camberwell. This family consisted of seven sons and two daughters, although according to the 1911 census, two of their seven children at this time, had died in infancy. I've yet to discover who the two missing children are.
John is still noted as a 'horsekeeper' on the 1911 census, but he actually worked for The Corporation of London as a Groom and would often ride First Postilion on the Lord Mayor of London's coach during the annual Lord Mayor's show.
John enlisted in the Army Service Corps on 21st September 1914 at the age of 40yrs, and spent time in 1914 and 1916 in France.
His army papers of 1914 note him as being 5 feet 4 inches tall, with brown eyes.
8th May 1873, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
15th June 1873 at St. Peter's Church, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Alice Watts (1878-1950) on 2nd August 1896, St Mary the Less church, Lambeth, London, England.
- John David Boulter (1897)
- John Thomas Boulter (1898-1974)
- Edward Mafeking Boulter (1901-1990) married Maude E Danes
- Ernest George Boulter (1903-1957)
- Arthur Robert Boulter (1905-1925)
- Sidney William Boulter (1908-1984)
- Horace Boulter (1911-1914)
- Ethel Elizabeth Boulter (1913-?)
- Elsie Winifred Boulter (1918-1997)
- Dennis Bert Boulter (1921-2010)
- unknown Boulter (?-bef.1911)
- 1881: 7yrs, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 18yrs, 15 Remington (?) Street, St Luke's, London, England.
- 1901: 27yrs, 133 Victoria Road, Camberwell, London, England.
- 1911: 35yrs, 29 Bellenden Road, Peckham, London, England.
- 1891: Horsekeeper, Peckham, London, England.
- 1901: Groom/Stableman, The Corporation Of London, London, England.
- 1911: Horsekeeper, Peckham, London, England.
- 1914-1916: Army Service Corps
During 1955 in Camberwell, London, England. Aged 82yrs.
1955, Not yet known.