- unknown Bowers
- William Bailey 1785-?
- Elizabeth Bird 1780-?
Ann Bishop (née Bowers).
Ann Bailey Bowers
Ann Bowers was the seventh of the eight children of Henry Bowers (1812-1847) and his wife Ann (née Bailey) of Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England.
She married labourer James Simpson Bishop (1842-1901) of Wicken, when she was about 17 years old. The couple went on to have eighteen known children.
Ann is noted as a 'Coprolite Labourer' at the time of the 1871 census, although seeing as she was almost continuously pregnant, would have meant it was probably a short-lived career.
When the youngest of her children was just 2 years old, Ann died from Pneumonia, leaving the large, young, family in the care of her widower James, and undoubtedly in the care of her mother (whom she had predeceased by 8 years). Her sister, Sarah Bowers (by then Sarah Farby), was present at her death.
Ann left a personal estate of £60 in her will to her husband.
After Ann's death, her older and childless sister, Sarah stepped in to helped look after the children, and earned herself the affectionate name of "Granny Farby" and continued to look after her niece's and nephew's children as well.
1843 at Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England.
1843 at the Primitive Methodist Chapel, Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England, and then again later on 8th July 1855, aged 12 years at St. Lawrence's Church, Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England.
- James Simpson Bishop (1842-1901) on 14th May 1860 at St. Laurence's Church, Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Ann Elizabeth Bishop (1861-?) married William Jarman (1860-?)
- Henry Bishop (1862-1940) married Elizabeth Rebecca Fuller (1862-?)
- Emily Bishop (1864-?)
- Louisa Bishop (1865-?)
- James Simson Bishop (1866)
- James Simpson Bishop (1868-?)
- Ann Bishop (1870-1931) married John Canham (1870-?)
- Eliza Bishop (1871-1872)
- Kezia Bishop (1872-1965) married Howarth Ellis (1868-1947)
- Eliza Bishop (1873-?) married Thomas Cross (1872-?)
- Harriet Bishop (1873-1900) married Horace Gateson (1873-1949)
- Sarah Ann Bishop (1875-?)
- Mary Ann Bishop (1876-1959) married John Rayment (1878-?)
- Adelaide Bishop (1877-1965) married James Yarrow (1875-1946)
- William Joseph Bishop (1879-?)
- Robert Maurice Bishop (1880-1971) married Dorcas Hawes (1882-1949)
- George Bishop (1885)
- George Juble Bishop (1887-?)
- 1851: 8yrs, Bedlham Yard, Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 18yrs, The Black Cottage, Fordham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 27yrs, Beerway, Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 37yrs, High Street, Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: Field Labourer
- 1871: Coprolite Labourer
5th March 1889 at Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 45 years.
Cause of Death
'Enteric Fever - Pneumonia (Double)' - certified by S C Harris, Surgeon
8th March 1889 at St. George's Church, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- The Coprolite Industry
Find out what coprolites are, and about the digging of them in East Anglia.