William was his parents only son, but just 18 months into his life, his father died at his pub in Dunstable.
Within just a few months, the family moved north to the fenland village of Littleport in Cambridgeshire, closer to his aunt Louisa Barker, who would no doubt have helped his mother to re-settle her young family, and to help her through her pregnancy without her husband.
When William was about 28 years old, he married to Rachel Elizabeth Emerson, and within a year they had become parents to the first of their eventual two daughters.
William pre-deceased Rachel by 17 years in 1957.
- 13th December 1889 at Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England.
- 6th December 1891 with his sister Florence Ellen Burnell at St. George's Church, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Rachel Elizabeth Emerson (1889-1974) during 1919 somewhere in Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mabel Pearl Burnell (1920-1983) married Albert Morley (19??-?)
- Florence May Burnell (1925-2003) married Patrick Joseph Prendergast (1899-1976)
Census and Residence
- 1891: 1yrs, The Royal Oak Public House, Church Street, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, England.
- 1901: 11yrs, Rose Cottages, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 21yrs, City Road, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: General Farm Labourer.
- 1920: Labourer.
- December quarter of 1957 in Cambridgeshire, England.
- During 1957 at Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.