Rebecca Cooper (later Rebecca Dudley and Rebecca Morris) was the fifth of the thirteen children of shoemaker Robert Cooper and his wife Elizabeth Fison of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Rebecca took up work as a Servant at around the age of 12 whilst living in Ely. However, it wasn't long before she had moved down to live at 3 Bainbridge Street in the St. Giles area of London.
By 1858, Rebecca married her neighbour Richard Dudley (from 2 Bainbridge Street) - a widower with three young children. They moved in with Rebecca, and the couple had two daughters, with Richard taking work as a Stoker in a Gas Factory, and later as a Brewer's Labourer.
In 1861, the new family are joined by her younger brother - Henry Cooper (who is working as a Muck Shoveler). Her married sister, Isabella Cooper (now Isabella Allison), is living nextdoor with her family, and another of their brothers - William Cooper.
Richard died in 1883, and within three years, widowed Rebecca has re-married to a brewer's stover named James Morris who is about 16 years her junior (and not much older than her daughters).
The new couple don't appear to have any further children.
Rebecca appears to die in 1908, aged 69 years, but it is not yet known what happened to James.
- circa 1838 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 18th April 1841 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Richard Dudley (1824-1883) on 21st November 1858 at St. George's Church, Bloomsbury, London, England.
- James Morris (1855-?) on 25th December 1886 at St. Mark's Church, Old Street, Shoreditch, London, England.
- Mary Dudley (1859-1936)
- Rebecca Dudley (1897-1962)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 3yrs, Silver Street, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 12yrs, Walpole Lane, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 23yrs, 3 Bainbridge Street, St. Giles, London, England.
- 1871: 32yrs, 3 Bainbridge Street, St. Giles, London, England.
- 1881: 42yrs, 5 Thorney Street, Bloomsbury, London, England.
- 1891: 45yrs, 22 Little Russell Street, Bloomsbury, London, England.
- 1901: 57yrs, 22 Little Russell Street, Bloomsbury, London, England.
- 1851: Servant
- circa June 1908 in the St. Giles district of London, England, aged 69 years.
- Not yet known.