His mother Mary is noted as being just 16¾ when James was baptised in 1791.
James grew up in the Holy Trinity parish of Ely, and he appears here with his wife Elizabeth and their eleven children at "Turbotsey" in 1841. At this time he is noted as an Agricultural Labourer.
It would appear that at the time of the 1851 census, James was down on his luck, as he is noted as a 'debtor' in the county gaol at Castle Street, Cambridge. It is not yet clear as to why he was in jail but this can probably be quite easily uncovered, although it may simply have been because of being in debt.
Meanwhile, his wife Elizabeth, appears as living at Waterden Fen with their sons James, Jacob and Uriah, daughter Jane, and daughter-in-law Emily.
Although the 1861 Ely census was destroyed, by 1871 James is home, although now an 80 year old widower, and living with his late-wife's relatives, John Lee and his wife Phoebe Lee.
James out-lived Elizabeth by 19 years, and one of his sons by 20 years, before he died in the December of 1877.
- circa 1791 in Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 30th April 1791 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elizabeth Lee (1791-1858) on 9th March 1812 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- James Cross (1814-?) married Elizabeth Coldham (1832-?)
- Jonathan Lee Cross (1815-1857)
- Nathan Cross (1818-1906) married Charlotte Lee (1819-1873)
- Mary Ann Cross (1819-?) married Matthew Lawrence (1821-1856), and later to John Giles (18??-?)
- Jacob Cross (1822-?) married Eliza Muriel (c.1826-?)
- Obediah Cross (1824-1908) married Susannah Cross (1832-1905)
- Uriah Cross (1826-1910) married Emily Edwards (1829-1912)
- Elizabeth Ann Lee Cross (1828-?)
- Javis Cross (1831-?)
- Jane Hannah Cross (1833-?)
- Lee Hannah Cross (1845-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 50yrs, Turbetsey, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 59yrs, County Gaol, Castle Street, Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: Ely census destroyed
- 1871: 80yrs, Cottage, Queen Adelaide, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1841: Agricultural Labourer
- 1843: Labourer
- December 1877 at Queen Adelaide, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 88 years.
- 19th December 1877 in grave Ca335 at Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.