Philip Cross was the tenth of the fifteen children of John Cross and his wife Elizabeth Scott of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Philip worked as a labourer and later as a farmer in the Padnal area of Ely.
He married Mary Ong and the couple remained in Ely where they became parents at least fourteen times. Sadly though, not all of the children survived into adulthood, with son Robert and daughters Margaret, and twins Kezia and Sarah, all dying before the age of 5 years.
Philip wrote his Will on 22nd March 1846, leaving his estate to his wife Mary, except for 'two cows and my dairying utensils, which I bequeath to my son George Cross'.
He also left his tenement and out-buildings, and 8 acres of land in Padnal, to George. No other child is mentioned within the Will, and Philip died just 2 days later.
George left the UK in about 1858, and emigrated to Australia with his family, joining his brother Charles who had emigrated in 1855.
Philip pre-deceased his wife Mary by about 13 years.
- circa 1770 in Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 26th May 1770 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mary Ong (1774-1859) on 24th May 1790 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- James Cross (1791-1877) married Elizabeth Lee (1791-1858)
- Robert Cross (1793-?)
- John Cross (1795-?)
- Margaret Cross (1797-1802)
- Philip Cross (1798-1866) married Sarah Freeman (1802-1829), and later to Ellen Wayman (1806-?)
- Robert Cross (1800-?)
- Richard Cross (1803-1870) married Ann Hunt (1806-?)
- Mary Cross (1804-?)
- Margaret Cross (1807-?)
- Kezia Cross twin (1809)
- Sarah Cross twin (1809)
- Samuel Cross (?-1809)
- Charles Cross (1810-1871) married Jane Thompson (1814-1834), and later to Elizabeth Garner (1823-1859), and unknown
- George Cross (1812-1887) married Frances Thompson (?-1840s), and later to Julia Thurlow (1818-1892)
- Peter Cross (1814-?) married Charlotte Hills (1811-18??), and later to Elizabeth Wright (1817-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 70yrs, Padnal, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1841: Farmer
- 24th March 1846 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 78 years.
- 28th March 1846 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.