Robert Cross was the sixth child of John Cross, and the fourth of the fifteen children with his second wife Elizabeth Scott of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Robert's early life is unclear, but when he was 19 years old, he married Sarah Bartle of Ely.
The couple settled down to become parents ten times, which included a set of unidentical twins in 1786, although their oldest and youngest sons failed to survive infancy.
Sarah pre-deceased Robert in 1821, and he lived for another five years.
Robert's Will names six of his children - John, William, Hannah, Mary, Robert and Henry, the latter having seemingly escaped Ely's church baptism registers.
- circa 1759 in Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 9th June 1759 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Sarah Bartle (1759-1821) by licence on 28th April 1779 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Hannah Cross (1780-?) married Edmund Allensby (1781-1816)
- Sarah Cross (1783-?) married Charles Kemp (17??-?)
- Robert Cross (1784-1785)
- Robert Cross twin (1786-?)
- Mary Cross twin (1786-?)
- John Cross (1788-?)
- Philip Cross (1790-18??) married Jemima Thompson (1790-1817)
- William Cross (1804-?) married Mary Brown (1794-18??)
- Henry Cross (1794-?)
- Richard Cross (1797)
- October 1826 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged '70' years.
- 28th March 1846 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.