Frederick Thompson Cross
Frederick Thompson Cross was the oldest of the nine children of carter Obediah Cross and his wife Susannah Cross of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Frederick purchased a property on Forehill, Ely in 1892 (dating back to an impressive 1553, as subsequent restoration would go on to prove) and set about rennovating the building for use as a shop consisting initially of a picture framing shop.
Eventually the shop was split in half and a bakery was installed, selling all kinds of breads and confectionery. Soon the bakery consumed the rest of the building and in 1908 he opened what is thought to be the first cafée in Ely.
Aside from being a baker, Frederick was also a skilled self-taught carpenter and had his own workshop in the back yard of his home and shop. He was also a magician and often delighted the early 20th Century audiences at Ely Corn Exchange with new tricks.
Frederick and his son 'Vernon', often exhumed fossils and other historical items from the fenland around Ely and these items soon became what is now a significant part of today's Ely Museum. The Museum has commemorated the Cross contribution by naming a room after him.
- 18th August 1854 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 18th October 1854 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elizabeth Waddelow (1860-1928) on 15th April 1882 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Daisy Waddelow Cross (1883-1949) married Herbert Augustus Roythorne (1881-1961)
- Frederick Vernon Cross (1894-1976) married Eleanor Crate (1894-1971)
Census and Residence
- 1861: Ely census destroyed
- 1871: 16yrs, Waterside, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 26yrs, Waterside, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 36yrs, Forehill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 45yrs, Forehill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 56yrs, Forehill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871-1911: Baker at Fred T. Cross (Variety Bread & Biscuit Manufacturer), Forehill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England
- 1879: Amateur Magician and Conjurer
- 27th November 1911 at Forehill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 57 years.
- 1st December 1911 in Grave F1140[C], at the City of Ely Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.