Ernest Dewey was the second of the five children of Ernest John Dewey and his wife Beatrice Ellen Gledhall of Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, England.
At some point between 1904 and 1908, Ernest's family moved from Cambridgeshire up to Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England.
When he was 16 years old, his father, who worked at the John Brown Steel Works, was involved in a 'freak accident'. An 8 tonne piece of metal fell on to his legs - crushing them. Despite surviving the journey to hospital, he died soon afterwards.
Ernest married Glenfinella Hinchliffe of Sheffield, and the couple had one child - a daughter named Doreen.
- 4th January 1904 at Waterbeach, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Glenfinella Hinchliffe (1903-1990) during 1933 in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England.
- Doreen Dewey
Census and Residence
- 1911: 7yrs, 23 Ardmore Street, Attercliffe, South Yorkshire, England.
- 23rd September 1970 at 57 Musgrave Crescent, Shirecliffe, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England.
- During September 1970 at Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England.