Sarah Jane Dewey
Sarah Jane Dewey (later Sarah Jane Anderson) was the oldest of the nine children of John Freeman Dewey, and the second of the ten children of his wife Elizabeth Boulter of Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
Sarah married tailor George William Anderson, whose work must have influenced the wedding, going by a newspaper account in The Cambridge Independent Press:
Sarah was 'given away by her father, was attired in a dress of white cashmere trimmed with lace and orange blossoms and white chiffon. Her hat was trimmed with white ribbon and orange blossoms, and she also wore a gold bracelet, the gift of the bridegroom'.
The couple settled down in Ely and became parents six times. However, after their first child, their next five children were to bring heartache during their parents lifetime: William died just 24 days old; Walter and George died in 1915 and were buried on the same day; Vera died when she was 20yrs old, and oldest son Albert died when he was about 37 years old.
This tragedy left just their oldest child Gladys, who remained unmarried and lived to be 98 years old.
- 1879 at Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 8th June 1879 at St. Andrew's Church, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- George William Anderson (1878-1965) on 1st November 1904 at St. Andrew's Church, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Gladys Edith Anderson (1905-2003)
- Albert Edward Anderson (1906-1944) married Grace Annie Lemmon (1899-1990)
- Walter Reginald Anderson (1909-1915)
- George Frederick Glover Anderson (1911-1915)
- William Anderson (1912-1912)
- Vera Joan Anderson (1925-1945)
Census and Residence
- 1881: 1yr, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 11yrs, Main Street, Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 23yrs, Sutton House, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 31yrs, Market Street, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: Domestic Cook for Michael Sheard (Land Agent) at Sutton.
- 22nd February 1956 at 29 Chief's Street, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 77 years.
- 27th February 1956 with her husband and daughters, at Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.