In 1851, Elizabeth is working as a 'house servant' at the house of surgeon William Wray on the High Street of March, Cambridgeshire. By 1852, at the age of 21, Elizabeth gave birth to her first child, an illegitimate daughter whom she named Sarah Elizabeth. It's likely that Elizabeth would have been dismissed from her job because of her pregnancy.
Elizabeth appears on the 1861 census at Burrow Moor, March as an Agricultural Labourer who by 1862, had married Charles Lincoln (originally from Potton, Bedfordshire). The couple moved to Little Downham Fen and lived at the Railway House on Main Drove. Charles is known to have worked on the railways as a platelayer.
By the time of the 1871 Little Downham Census, the couple are joined by their daughter Jane, aged 7, but are sadly missing their son Jesse, who had died in infancy in 1865.
However, after illness, Elizabeth sadly died of liver disease in January 1873 in the presence of her daughter's mother-in-law, Mary Martin. She was just 41 years old.
Elizabeth was a Baptist. Two of her grandchildren, by her second daughter Jane, became authors and Baptist missionaries, and frequently travelled to India.
Four months after Elizabeth's death, her widower Charles re-married to widow Elizabeth Taylor (née Miller).
- 1831 in March, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 13th August 1831 at the General Baptist Church, March, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Charles Lincoln (1832-1887) on 20th November 1862, at The Providence Chapel in March, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Sarah Elizabeth Giddings (1852-1925) married James Martin (1851-1934)
- Jane Lincoln (1863-1951) married Herbert Watts (1870-1953)
- Jesse Lincoln (1865-1865)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 9yrs, Hurst Lane, Doddington, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 20yrs, High Street, March, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 29yrs, Burrow Moor, March, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 39yrs, Gate House, Great Eastern Railway (GER), Third Drove, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: House Servant to William Wray (Surgeon)
- 1861: Agricultural Labourer
- 19th January 1873 at Third Drove, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 41yrs.
Cause of Death
- Not yet known.