Susan Gillions (also known as Susan Jillings or Susannah Gillings) was the third of the five children of William Gillings and his first wife Elizabeth Miller of Wrestlingworth, Bedfordshire, England.
Sadly, when Susan was about 9 years old, her mother Elizabeth died at about the age of 39 years. Susan's parents had already lost their first child Sara in 1765, but this left her father William to look after four young children.
William re-married 3 years later, to Sara Fielding, and together they had four more children.
By 1795, a pregnant Susan, who is noted as resident in nearby Gamlingay, Cambridgeshire, married labourer Edward Gilbert, also of Gamlingay.
The couple soon became parents to their first child, and eventually became parents 9 times.
In 1805, Edward Gilbert paid Land Tax at Abbotsley, but he did not hold very much land. When Abbotsley was enclosed in 1837, Edward is noted as the occupier of a "house, barn, garden and fruit, the property of Jon Lincoln, rateable value £1.15.0". It is unclear as to whether the enclosures brought hardship to the Gilbert family or whether ailing health caused Edward and Susan to fall upon hard times.
By 1851, Susan and Edward are noted as paupers living with their daughter and son-in-law Mary and Thomas Cade at Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire. Susan is noted as blind.
Edward pre-deceased Susan in 1852, by 6 and a half years.
- circa 1771 in Wrestlingworth, Bedfordshire, England.
- 24th November 1771 with her sister Elizabeth Gillings, at St. Peter's Church, Wrestlingworth, Bedfordshire, England.
- Edward Gilbert (1774-1852) on 2nd March 1795 at St. Mary the Virgin Church, Gamlingay, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Sarah Gilbert (1795-?) married Samuel Haynes (17??-?)
- George Gilbert (c.1797-?)
- Mary Gilbert (1799-18??) married Thomas Cade (1798-18??)
- Elizabeth Gilbert (1802-?)
- William Gilbert (1807-1879) married Elizabeth Brightley (1810-1886)
- Ellen Gilbert (1804-?) married Joseph Wilson (1804-?)
- Eliza Gilbert (1809-?) married Joseph Tomlin (1809-?)
- John Gilbert (1813-1871) married Susan Baker (1820-1865), and later to Emma (1825-18??)
- Frances Gilbert (1818-?) married Daniel Worship (1814-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 65yrs, Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.
- 1851: 77yrs, Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.
- 1851: Pauper
- During July 1859 in Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.
- 24th July 1859, at St. Margaret's Church, Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.