Joseph Gothard was the eighth of the nine children of shepherd and publican William Gothard and his wife Sarah Hawkins of Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
Joseph married Phoebe Collins of Landbeach, Cambridgeshire, and the couple settled initially in Wilburton. They became parents 12 times, but sadly two daughters - Phebe and Annie - born between 1886 and 1889, failed to thrive, and died as infants.
Not long after this tragedy, Joseph and his family moved to Histon, a village just a few miles outside of Cambridge. Joseph is noted as working as a Farm Servant for one of the long-running major employers in the area - J. Chivers Farms by the time of the 1891 census. His children Walter, Sarah, Hilda, Elsie, and Sidney, are all noted amongst employees from 1901 onwards, with Walter becoming a factory foreman by 1927.
Sadly, on Christmas Day 1917, Joseph and Phoebe's son Sidney was killed in France whilst serving as a Lance Bombardier with the Royal Field Artillery in the First World War.
Joseph was pre-deceased by Phoebe in 1924, and he died in November 1926, aged 68 years. He left leaving an estate valued at £260 12s 6d in his Will.
- 1858 at Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 10th October 1858 at St. Martin's Church, Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Phoebe Collins (1860-1924) on 16th September 1877 at St. Peter's Church, Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Evangeline Gothard (1878-1931) married Robert Meredith Jones (1847-1931)
- Walter Gothard (1879-1943) married Alice Elizabeth Powell (1883-19??)
- Sarah Elizabeth Gothard (1881-19??)
- Joseph Gothard (1883-?)
- Hilda Agnes Gothard (1885-1967) married Ernest Ralph Smith (1878-1951)
- Phebe Gothard (1886)
- Annie Gothard (1889)
- Arthur Gothard (1890-19??)
- Elsie Maud Gothard (1893-19??) married Albert W Sheldrick (18??-19??)
- Alberta Gothard (1895-19??) married Albert E Biggs (18??-19??)
- Sidney Gothard (1896-1917)
- Olive Lilian Gothard (1899-1973) married Harold Leach (19??-19??)
Census and Residence
- 1861: 2yrs, The Black Horse Public House, Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 12yrs, The Black Horse Public House, Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 22yrs, High Street, Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 33yrs, J. Chivers Farm, Clay Street, Histon, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 42yrs, Water Lane, Histon, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 53yrs, Water Lane, Histon, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871-1881: Agricultural Labourer
- 1891: Farm Servant for J. Chivers Farms at Histon
- 1901: Garden Labourer
- 1911: Farm Labourer
- 30th November 1926 in Cambridgeshire, England, aged 68 years.
- Location not yet known.