John Hawkins was the oldest of the nine children of John Hawkins and his wife Jane Dunham of Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
John married Ethel Rowell, a servant, during August 1841 at her native parish church a few miles away in Witcham, Cambridgeshire. His sister Sarah Hawkins and her husband-to-be William Gothard acted as witnesses to their marriage.
John and Ethel settled in Back Street, Witcham and went on to have five children - one, Joseph Hawkins, appears in the Witcham baptism register as "boy hurt" on 8th January 1856. The baptism is noted as being noted as 'private'. However, he appears to survive until at least 1871 where he appears in Witcham with his parents, younger brother and niece, Emily Hitch. Sadly though, their youngest child, Elizabeth, fails to thrive and dies when she's just a few months old in 1861.
Ethel predeceased John in 1871, and he went on to live until 1898, dying aged "80" at Ely Union Workhouse where he was presumably receiving elderly care.
He was buried at Witcham, Cambridgeshire.
- 1818 at Witchford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Ethel Rowell (1821-1871) on 9th August 1841 at St. Martin's Church, Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mary Ann Hawkins (1844-?) married Robert Hitch (1843-?)
- William Hawkins (1845-1933) married Elizabeth Newell (1850-1944)
- Joseph Hawkins (1850-?)
- Richard Hawkins (1856-?)
- Elizabeth Hawkins (1860-1861)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 20yrs, Silver Street,Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 32yrs, Backside,Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 42yrs, Back Street,Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 53yrs, Back Side,Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 62yrs, Street,Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 73yrs, West End,Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1898: 80yrs, Ely Union Workhouse,Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851-1861: Agricultural Labourer
- 1881: Farm Labourer
- March 1898 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 30th March 1898 at St. Martin's Church, Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.