Ellen Howlett (later Ellen Stimpson) was the fourth of the seven known children of weaver John Howlett and his wife Elizabeth Poll of Wymondham, Norfolk, England.
Hannah and her family moved from Norfolk to Suffolk between 1838 and 1841, and it was here that they lived in the fenland surrounding Mildenhall, Lakenheath, and close to Littleport in Cambridgeshire.
Ellen marries Littleport labourer John Stimpson in 1849 in a double wedding with her brother Robert Howlett, who marries Louisa Bonnett.
Ellen and John settle down in the Lakenheath fenland to raise at least 9 children over 21 years.
John pre-deceased Ellen in 1897, and she continues living for another 8 years, appearing in 1901 at the home of John and Elizabeth Sparrow in Feltwell, where she's noted as 'mother-in-law' to John, and as a Monthly Nurse.
- circa 1830 in Wymondham, Norfolk, England.
- John Stimpson (1821-1897) on 1st August 1849 at St. Mary's Church, Mildenhall, Suffolk, England.
- Margaret Stimpson (1849-1868)
- Henry Stimpson (1852-1931)
- Emma Stimpson (1856-?)
- William Stimpson (1859-?)
- Betsy Stimpson (1860-?)
- Sarah A Stimpson (1863-?)
- Thirza Stimpson (1866-?)
- Hannah Elizabeth Stimpson (1869-?)
- Ellen Stimpson (1870-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 10yrs, Mildenhall Drove, Mildenhall, Suffolk, England.
- 1851: 21yrs, Deepney Drove, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 31yrs, Sedge Fen, Lakenheath, Suffolk, England.
- 1871: 41yrs, Plantation Farm, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 51yrs, Decoy Farm, Lakenheath, Suffolk, England.
- 1891: 61yrs, Aldershot, Lakenheath, Suffolk, England.
- 1901: 70yrs, Shrub Middle Farm, Feltwell, Norfolk, England.
- 1881: Agricultural Labourer's Wife
- 1901: Monthly Nurse
- During 1909 in Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1909, location not yet known.