Jane Lincoln (later Jane Watts) was the second of the three children of Elizabeth Giddings, and her first with husband Charles Lincoln of March, Cambridgeshire, England.
Jane married grocer Herbert Watts, and the couple settled in Clapham, London to become parents to eight children, but sadly only four of them survived survived - two sons and two daughters.
Jane's oldest son was Lincoln Watts - who went on to become a Baptist Missionary - travelling to India on many occasions to evangelise the local population. Records show that this came up against a frosty reception. Lincoln and his family travelled between England and India on many occasions.
Her oldest daughter Martena Watts, married David Arthur Thrower - another Baptist Missionary, and together they also travelled to India on a few occasions undertaking the same kind of work. Like both of Jane's sons - Lincoln and Newman, son-in-law David was also an author.
The 1911 census states that Jane is working as a Midwife, whilst Herbert is noted as an Egg Dealer. The couple are joined by their two daughters, but also four visitors from the Clouting and Andrews families, and a 74 year old spinster pensioner named Lavinia Franks, who is noted as a Boarder. Whilst Lavinia is noted as having been born in Chipstead, Surrey, Jane's maternal grandmother, Sarah Jane Franks. Could they be related?
Jane appears to pre-decease Herbert by about two years in 1951.
- 1863 in March, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Herbert Watts (1870-1953) on 24th August 1891 at St. Paul's Church, Clapham, Surrey, England.
- Lincoln Watts (1892-1960) married Ethel Alice Hines (1888-1975)
- Newman Watts (1893)
- Edwin Watts (1894)
- Newman Watts (1895-1949) married Esther Annie Chapman (18??-?)
- Eudora Watts (1897-1898)
- Martena Watts (1899-1980) married David Arthur Thrower (1900-1985)
- Ella Watts (1904-1906)
- Rosa Vera Watts (1906-1993) married James William Rippon (1913-1998)
Census and Residence
- 1871: 7yrs, Third Drove Gate House, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 19yrs, 35 Clephane Road, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 27yrs, Minchenden Lodge, High Street, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 37yrs, 67 Old Town, Clapham, Surrey, England.
- 1911: 47yrs, 37 Sandmere Road, Clapham, London, England.
- 1891: Housemaid Domestic
- 1901: Cook
- 1911: Midwife
- During 1951 in the London Borough of Lambeth, London, England.
- Not yet known.