Rose Ellen Martin
Rose Ellen Martin was the second of the twelve children of James Martin and his wife Sarah Elizabeth Giddings of Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
She never married, instead dedicating her time to working as a domestic assistant. She appears on the 1891 Census as living at Railway House, Little Downham.
Like her younger sister Ethel, she worked as a Maid, in London to a Dental Surgeon called William John Parks of Clapham, where she remained from at least 1901 and stayed after Mr Parks' death to at least until 1911, when she remains with his widow Hannah, and one other maid.
Whilst serving as a maid to an elderly couple (perhaps Mr and Mrs Parks) she became a beneficiary, with another maid, in their wills and upon their deaths inherited a wealth of things from them.
When her own mother became ill, she returned with Ethel to look after her, until her mother's death in 1925. Rose then lived in Little Downham until her own death in 1955.
- 6th January 1876 in Little Downham Fen, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 17th September 1876 at Ely Wesleyan Methodist Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Census and Residence
- 1881: 5yrs, Main Drove House on Railway, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 15yrs, Railway House, A Furlong Drove, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 26yrs, 32 The Chase, Clapham, London, England.
- 1911: 36yrs, 26 North Side, Clapham, London, England.
- 1955: 79yrs, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: Domestic Assistant
- 1901-1911: Maid at the house of William John Parks (Dental Surgeon)
- 23rd May 1955 at Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- May 1955, by herself, at Lawn Lane Cemetery, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.