In 1851, Esther gave birth to her first child John Thomas Moden at the Union Workhouse in Ely. It appears that his illegitimacy was kept away from the church records at Wentworth, because at his baptism in 1852, he is presented by his grandparents and he shares the occasion with his infant aunt Susan Moden. However, the parish register notes his date of birth, which when checked against a birth certificate, shows that Esther was actually his mother.
This anonymity continues for John's marriage in 1871 to Charity Barrett, where the register gives "unknown" as his parent, and Esther does not even appear as a witness. Instead, his cousin Elizabeth Boulter appears as a witness.
Esther married Henry Dewey of Witchford, Cambridgeshire, and the couple had at least ten children.
Esther was pre-deceased by her husband Henry in 1879, who appears to have been considered as having a mental illness. He spent his final years at Fulbourn Lunatic Asylum at Cambridge.
Esther went on to live another 21 years, and spent her last few years living with her married daughter Martha Peasgood in Irnham, Lincolnshire.
- circa 1829 at Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 10th November 1839 with her sisters Mary Ann Moden, Jane Moden, and Martha Moden, at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Henry Dewey (1820-1879) on 17th December 1854 at St. Peter's Church, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- John Thomas Moden (1851-1927) married Charity Barrett (1853-1934)
- William Henry Dewey (1855-?)
- James Edward Dewey (1857-1946) married Gertrude Elizabeth Seppings (1866-1949)
- Jane Elizabeth Dewey (1859-?)
- George Dewey (1861-1956) married Jane Elizabeth Allen (1865-1933)
- Martha Ellen Dewey (1863-19??) married Charles Edward Peasgood (1867-19??)
- Charles Aaron Dewey (1865-?)
- Arthur Clements Dewey (1867-?) married Mary Ann (18??-?)
- Walter Dewey (1870-1949) married Annie Susan Bartram (1879-1961)
- Esther Rebecca Dewey (1872-1956) married Ephraim Palmer (1864-19??)
- Mary Ann Dewey (1874-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 9yrs, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 19yrs, High Street, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 30yrs, Main Street, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 39yrs, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 49yrs, Street, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 59yrs, Main Street, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 70yrs, Irnham, Lincolnshire, England.
- 1861: Labourer's Wife
- 1901: Living by own means
- During 1902 in Lincolnshire, England, aged 71yrs.
- Not yet known.