John Moden was the fourth of the eleven children of labourer Robert Moden and his wife Phoebe Lenton of Sutton in Cambridgeshire, England.
When John was about 13 years old, his mother died, leaving his father with ten young children - the youngest being no more than three years old.
John married Mary Pedley of Sutton, when they were both considered minors, with Mary's father Benjamin Pedley giving consent. Within a few months, their first child was born, but sadly she didn't survive beyond a year.
A further ten children were born, but again, two more failed to thrive and did not survive childhood, and by 1881 John and Mary can be found with seven of their eleven children at 'Charter's Farm' in Sutton.
John worked the fertile land around Sutton as a labourer until his wife died in 1888. In 1893, John re-married to widow Rebecca Timms (née Colegroves), and by 1901 they had moved north to Gainsborough, Lincolnshire to live with his children. It is at this point that he takes work as a Mechanic's Labourer and eventually in 1911, he's a Foundry Worker at the age of 71, alongside his son-in-law, Robert Granger, with whom he is living.
Rebecca died in 1902, with John surviving her by 26 years - dying in 1928 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire.
- 1839 at Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 8th December 1839 as John Morton at St. Andrew's Church, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mary Pedley (1839-1888) on 27th September 1857 at St. Andrew's Church, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Rebecca Colegroves (1844-1902) on 19th December 1893 at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mary Moden (1857-1859)
- Mary Moden (1859-?) married William Bullen (1859-?)
- John Moden (1861-?) married Rosa Sayer (1854-?)
- James Moden (1863-1865)
- William Moden (1864-1946) married Elizabeth Williams (1868-1957)
- Phoebe Ann Moden (1866-?) married Walter Ball (1867-?)
- Sarah Elizabeth Moden (1869-?)
- James Pedley Moden (1871-?) married Eliza (1871-?)
- Joseph Arthur Moden (1873-1962) married Agnes Hawkins (1874-1965)
- Margaret Pedley Moden (1875-?) married Robert Granger (1872-?)
- Fanny Louisa Moden (1877-1885)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 1yr, High Street, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 11yrs, Windmill Lane, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 21yrs, Gimbert's Lane, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 32yrs, Windmill Lane, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 42yrs, Charter's Farm, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 52yrs, Gravel Pit Drove, Hill Row, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 60yrs, 70 Trinity Street, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
- 1911: 71yrs, 42 Etherington Street, Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
- 1861: Agricultural Labourer
- 1891: Farm Labourer
- 1901: Mechanic's Labourer
- 1911: Foundry Worker
- During October 1928 at Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.
- 14th October 1928 at Gainsborough, Lincolnshire, England.