When Robert was about two years old, his mother died. After 8 years, his father William re-married to his late wife's sister-in-law, Elizabeth Whitehead (née Howard) who had recently been widowed too.
Robert married Phoebe Lenton of Sutton in 1836, and the couple soon settled down to start their family, which grew to eleven children although sadly three of them died within their first few years of life.
Robert worked as a labourer in the fenland surrounding his Cambridgeshire home. He briefly appears as a 'horsekeeper' in 1856 at the time of his son Tom's baptism, but is later found re-instated as a labourer by 1861.
Phoebe pre-deceased Robert in 1859, aged 42 years, and Robert followed her to the grave 18 years later.
- circa 1813 at Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 11th November 1813 at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Phoebe Lenton (1816-1859) on 19th January 1836 at St. Andrew's Church, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Susan Moden (1836-1840)
- Philip Moden (1837-1838)
- William Moden (1838-1906) married Elizabeth Holmes (1838-1878), and later to Rachel Dunkling (1838-1912)
- John Moden (1839-1928) married Mary Pedley (1839-1888), and later to Rebecca Colegroves (1844-1902)
- Mary Moden (1844-?) married William Watson (1843-?)
- Ann Moden (1845-?)
- Robert Moden (1848-18??)
- Robert Moden (1850-?) married Fanny Louisa Winterton (18??-?)
- Sarah Moden (1852-?) married Joseph Kirby (1853-?)
- Elizabeth Moden (1854-?)
- Thomas Moden (1856-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 28yrs, High Street, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 37yrs, Windmill Lane, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 46yrs, Windmill Lane, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 61yrs, Windmill Lane, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1841-1851: Agricultural Labourer
- 1856: Horsekeeper
- 1861: Agricultural Labourer
- During August 1877 at Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 64yrs.
- 30th August 1877 at St. Andrew's Church, Sutton, Cambridgeshire, England.