- William Tall 1764-?
- Esther James
- William Tall 17??-?
- Mary Westwood 17??-?
Portrait of Avis Wisbey (formerly Martin, née Tall).
Avis Tall was the second of the four children of William Tall and his wife Esther (née James) of Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
In 1812 she married Robert Martin of Little Downham, but unusually they married away from their native villages - instead choosing a remote church miles away in Norfolk. It is unclear why this church was chosen (was Robert working near here, or were they avoiding parental objections?). Together they went on to have approximately six children until Robert died in 1826, at just 41 years old.
The following year, Avis re-married to Mr James Wisbey of Little Downham.
By 1830, Avis and her second husband appear in the parish church at the baptism of their son Henry, and they appear again on census night in 1841 as living at Oxlode/100ft Bank in the fenland just North of Little Downham.
In February 1837, Avis assumes the care of her infant granddaughter Matilda Johnson, when her daughter and son-in-law, Sarah and James Johnson are both suffocated during their sleep. Matilda only survives due to being tucked under the sheets, and being on the side of a draughty window.
After James Wisbey's death (date unknown), Avis moved to Second Drove, Little Downham and lived near to her son's family until her own death in 1858.
circa 1788, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
28th November 1790, St. George's Church, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Robert Martin (1785-1826) on 3rd February 1812 at St Mary Magdelene's Church, Wiggenhall St Mary Magdelene, Norfolk, England.
- James Wisbey (17??-18??) on 12th August 1827 at St. Leonard's Church, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- William Martin (1813-1826)
- James Martin (1814-1868) married Mary Ann Moxon (1825-1844) and Mary Tingey (1820-1883)
- Sarah Martin (1818-1837) married James Johnson (1814-1837).
- Elizabeth Martin (1820-1822)
- Robert Martin (1822-182?)
- Robert Martin (1824-?) married Ann Ablett (1823-?)
- Henry Wisbey (1830-?) married Sarah Willson (18??-?)
- 1841: 35yrs, 100 Foot Bank, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 58yrs, 100 Foot Bank, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: Outdoor Labourer
3rd August 1858, Second Drove, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 70 years.
Cause of Death:
"Natural Decay - certified"
6th August 1858 at St. Leonard's Churchyard, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.