John Barber is the earliest ancestor in my research. His parents remain unknown.
John lived in Witcham, Cambridgeshire and was the husband of Margaret. She outlived John, and along with four children, was named as a benefactor of John's will. His will states his intention to be buried in Witcham churchyard.
The will names their daughter Alice as unmarried - inheriting a bed, sheets, pewter dishes and platters, and a cupboard.
Witcham's parish records start 10 years after John's burial, so it is unclear whether he got his wish. This later start means that the registers fail to reveal anything much more about John's family, so I have listed his children in the order that they appear in his will in 1589.
- During the 1500s. Location not yet known.
- Margaret (15??-?).
- William Barber (1580-1631) married Mary (15??-?)
- Richard Barber (c.1580-1630) married Alice Yong (15??-?)
- John Barber (15??-?) married Crescilla (15??-?)
- Alice Barber (15??-?)
- Elizabeth Barber (15??-?) married Mr Watson (15??-?)
Census and Residence
- 1588-1589: Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
Last Will & Testament
- Written February 1588
- During 1589 at Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Presumably during 1589 at St. Martin's Church, Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.