Josiah Barber was the youngest of the eight children of Robert Barber and his wife Rebecca Irons of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Josiah married Mary Mantle, also of Ely, and the couple settled down to have eight children.
After his marriage in 1821, Josiah appears to have spent the following years working as a 'Hedger', and he is noted as such in the baptism register of his children. By 1832, he is noted as a 'Labourer'.
The couple's fourth child, Mary Barber, died in May 1832 when a Cholera epidemic swept through Ely. It was mainly children and infants who died.
By 1847, at the time of his son's marriage to widow Mary Neale, Josiah's occupation of 'Hedger' has been re-instated in the parish register. He retains this until his death.
Mary died in May 1853, aged 52 years and Josiah outlived her for 23 years.
Josiah re-married to widow Elizabeth Haylock (née Page), and the couple can be found during Josiah's final census - 1871, living together at Cuckold's Haven, Ely. Both are in their early 70s.
Elizabeth outlives him, and is named in his Will written 22nd September 1876, where he bequeaths his estate valued under £200.
- 1800 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 25th May 1800 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mary Mantle (1802-1853) on 12th August 1821 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elizabeth Page (1800-1892) during 1854 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Hannah Barber (1822-?)
- William Barber (1824)
- William Mantle Barber (1826-1890) married Mary Neale (1825-1918)
- Mary Barber (1828-1832)
- Susan Iron Barber (1832-?) married James Garner (1828-?)
- Rebecca Barber (1836-?)
- Johanna Barber (1838-1848)
- Mary Ann Barber (1842-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 40yrs, Cuckold's Haven, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 50yrs, West End, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: Ely census destroyed
- 1871: 70yrs, Cuckold's Haven, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1822: Hedger
- 1841-1851: Agricultural Labourer
- 1852: Hedger
- 1871: Roadman
- 1876: Hedger
- 27th August 1876 at Cuckold's Haven, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 76 years.
- 1st September 1876 at Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, Grave B410[U].