- Simpson Bishop 1818-?
- Elizabeth Taylor 1818-?
- John Bishop 1795-?
- Elizabeth Simpson
- unknown Taylor
James Simpson Bishop
James Simpson Bishop was the oldest known child of Simpson Bishop and his wife Elizabeth Taylor of Soham, Cambridgeshire.
James married Ann Bowers (1845-1889) of Wicken, Cambridgeshire at Wicken Church on 14th May 1860 and the couple went on to have at least eighteen children between 1861 and 1887. In 1889 his wife Ann tragically died from Pneumonia, leaving James with his large young family. Ann's childless sister and her husband Sarah and George Farby of Little Thetford, stepped in to help look after the children - earning themselves the name "Granny and Grandad Farby".
James worked as a Coprolite Labourer in 1871, but otherwise he worked as an Agricultural Labourer right up until a few days before his death in March 1901. His married daughter, Ann Canham, was with him when he died at High Fen, Wicken. The death certificate notes that he died from "Influenza - seven days, Pleursory of diaphragmatic pleura and Peritonitis - four days".
The Cambridge Independent Press ran his obituary on 22nd March 1901. It read: "Obituary - We regret to record the death of Mr. Simpson Bishop, who died on Friday last, at the age of 59 years. Mr. Bishop has been working on Mr. Charles' farm, High Fen, for several years. His illness was a very short one, he only being away from his work a week before he died. He was interred in the Cemetery on Monday last. Mr A Bullman performed the Burial Service."
27th March 1842, Soham, Cambridgeshire.
- Ann Bowers (1843-1889) on 14th May 1860 at Wicken church, Cambridgeshire.
- Ann Elizabeth Bishop (1860-?) married William Jarman (1860-?)
- Henry Bishop (1863-?)
- Emily Bishop (1864-?)
- Louisa Bishop (1865-?)
- James Simson Bishop (1866)
- James Simpson Bishop (1868-?)
- Ann Bishop (1870-1931) married John Canham (1870-?)
- Eliza Bishop (1871-1872)
- Kezia Bishop (1872-1965) married Howarth Ellis (1868-1947)
- Eliza Bishop (1873-?) married Thomas Cross (1872-?)
- Harriet Bishop (1873-1900) married Horace Gateson (1873-1949)
- Sarah Ann Bishop (1875-?)
- Mary Ann Bishop (1876-1959) married John Rayment (1876-?)
- Adelaide Bishop (1877-1965) married James Yarrow (1875-1946)
- William Joseph Bishop (1879-?)
- Robert Maurice Bishop (1880-1971) married Dorcas Hawes (1882-1949)
- George Bishop (1885)
- George Juble Bishop (1887-?)
- 1851: 9yrs, Little Wapses, Twineham, West Sussex, England.
- 1861: 19yrs, The Block Cottage, Fordham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 28yrs, Beerway, Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 39yrs, High Street, Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 49yrs, Hall Fen, Wicken, Cambridgeshire, England.
15th March 1901 at High Fen, Wicken in Cambridgeshire, aged 59 years and in the company of his daughter, Ann Canham.
According to The Cambridge Independent Press he was buried on 18th March 1901 in Wicken cemetery, Cambridgeshire. However, the transcript of the Parish Church register for burials does not include him - suggesting that he may have been buried following a service at the Chapel.
- The Coprolite Industry
Find out what coprolites are, and about the digging of them in East Anglia.