Samuel Burnell (or Samuel Bursik as he appeared in 1861) was the oldest of the seven known children of Robert Burnell and his wife Martha Evans of Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
Samuel married Mary Babbage on Christmas Day of 1839 in Combe Florey, Somerset. Together they had at least eleven children born in Lydiard St Lawrence and Combe Florey, Somerset. A second, and youngest son named 'John Burnell' appears in the family group, although the couple already had a child of this name. His true identity is not clear - perhaps it was an illegitimate grandson?
In 1861, Samuel and his family are living in the Poor Houses of Combe Florey, Somerset, whilst Samuel is noted as a 'Road Contractor'.
- 24th March 1816 at Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- 21st April 1816, at the church of St. Peter and Paul at Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- Mary Babbage (1816-1887) on 25th December 1839 at Church of St. Peter & St. Paul, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- Sarah Burnell (1840-?)
- James Burnell (1841-?)
- John Burnell (1844-18??)
- Robert Burnell (1846-?)
- William Burnell (1848-?)
- George Burnell (1850-1891) married Mary Ann Barker (1854-1929)
- Susannah Burnell (1852-?)
- Mary Ann Burnell (1855-?)
- Elizabeth Burnell (1857-?)
- Jane Burnell (1861-?)
- John Burnell (1864-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 25yrs, Sandings, Lydiard St. Lawrence, Somerset, England.
- 1851: 36yrs, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- 1861: 49yrs, Poor Houses, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- 1871: 58yrs, Cottage, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- 1850: Labourer
- 1861: Road Contractor
- 1875: Farm Labourer
- 3rd August 1875 at Combe Florey, Somerset, England, Cause of death: '1. Asthma (10 years), 2. Anasarca (4 months) - certified by W. A. Deane MRCS'
- During August 1875, presumably at Combe Florey, Somerset, England.