William Dewsbury was the eighth of the ten children, and only son, of farmer Edward Dewsbury and his wife Sarah of Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England.
Like his father, William worked in agriculture as a labourer in the rich fertile fenland fields surrounding his home for most of his life.
He married Rebecca Lythell of Stretham, Cambridgeshire, and together they raised a total of 12 children, although sadly two of them (Ellen and Walter) died when they were 21mths old.
William and Rebecca appear on a number of censuses, starting with the 1841 Census for Stretham where they appear, newly married, with their 9 month old son William. Ten years later, they appear again on the Census but this time accompanied by six of their children.
In 1881 William and his wife are noted on the census as living alone in Stretham aged 70 and 60 respectively. This would be the last census for both of them with William pre-deceasing Rebecca by just over four years in the September of 1885. She died in December 1889.
- Circa 1811 at Wilburton, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Rebecca Lythell (1811-1885) on 8th December 1840 at St. Mary's Church, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- William Lythell Dewsbury (1840-1905) married Hannah Watson (1845-1929)
- George Dewsbury (1842-?)
- Rachel Dewsbury (1843-1915) married William Creek (1844-?)
- Henry Dewsbury (1846-1912) married Hannah Saberton (1849-1908)
- Edward Dewsbury (1847-?)
- Ann Dewsbury (1849-?)
- Elizabeth Dewsbury (1851-1923) married Reuben Barber (1849-1932)
- Alfred Dewsbury (1853-?) married Rachel Russell (18??-?)
- Ellen Dewsbury (1856-1857)
- Ellen Dewsbury (1858-?)
- Nathan Dewsbury (1860-?)
- Walter Dewsbury (1866-1864)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 25yrs, Pump Lane, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 40yrs, Pump Lane, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 49yrs, Back Street, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 59yrs, East Street, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 70yrs, Back Street, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1840: Labourer
- 1851, 1861: Agricultural Labourer
- 1865: Labourer
- September 1885 at Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 74 years.
- 22nd September 1885 at St. Mary's Churchyard, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.