Isaac Watson Martin
Isaac Watson Martin was the oldest of the twelve children of James Martin and his wife Sarah Elizabeth (née Giddings) of Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
Isaac is noted as a Farm Servant on the 1891 census, where he appears living with his maternal Great Uncle Edward Franks Giddings at Walsoken, Norfolk, England. By the time of the 1911 census however, he has returned home and is noted as a Railway Platelayer, working for the Great Eastern Railway (GER).
Isaac married to Sarah Elizabeth Rogers and together they had a daughter, Elsie, but sadly just six years later, Sarah died, leaving Isaac to bring her up.
Isaac remarried to Florrie Butcher but the couple did not have any further children.
In September 1917, Isaac was present at the death of his younger widowed sister Emma Jane Goodge, who died at his home after an illness, aged 29 years.
Isaac pre-deceased his second wife, and it is noted in her own burial record of 1940 that she was living in Main Street, Little Downham at the time.
- 19th November 1874 in Little Downham Fen, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 26th October 1875 at Ely Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Sarah Elizabeth Rogers (1873-1907) on 26th January 1901 at St. Leonard's Church, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Florrie Butcher (1885-1940) on 20th April 1912 at St. Leonard's Church, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
Census and Residence
- 1881: 6yrs, Main Drove House on railway, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 15yrs, Sibley Field, Walsoken Norfolk, England.
- 1901: 26yrs, Dunkirk, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 36yrs, A Furlong, Gate House, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: Farm Servant
- 1901: Bricklayer's Labourer
- 1911: Railway Platelayer for Great Eastern Railway (GER)
- 25th August 1934, aged 59 years.
- 29th August 1934 with his second wife Florrie, at Little Downham Cemetery, after a service at the Methodist Church, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.