Portrait of Rose Ellen Martin.
Rose Ellen Martin
Rose Ellen Martin was the second of the twelve children of James Martin and his wife Sarah Elizabeth (née Giddings) of Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
She never married but dedicated her time to working as a domestic assistant. She appears on the 1891 Census as living at Railway House, Little Downham.
Like her younger sister Ethel, she worked as a Maid, in London to a Dental Surgeon called William John Parks of Clapham, where she remained from at least 1901 and stayed after Mr Parks' death to at least until 1911, when she remains with his widow Hannah, and one other maid.
Whilst serving as a maid to an elderly couple (perhaps Mr and Mrs Parks) she became a beneficiary, with another maid, in their wills and upon their deaths inherited a wealth of things from them.
When her mother became ill, she returned with Ethel to look after her, until her death in 1925. Rose then lived in Little Downham until her death in 1955.
6th January 1876, Little Downham Fen, Cambridgeshire, England.
17th September 1876 at Ely Wesleyan Methodist Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 5yrs, Main Drove House on Railway, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 15yrs, Railway House, A Furlong, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 26yrs, 32 The Chase, Clapham, London, England.
- 1911: 35yrs, 26 North Side, Clapham, London, England.
- 1891: Domestic Assistant, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901-1911: Maid at the house of William John Parks (Dental Surgeon), Clapham, London, England.
23rd May 1955 at Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
May 1955, on her own in St. Leonard's Cemetery, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.