James married Phoebe Pope of nearby Stretham, and the couple became parents to a daughter named Harriet in 1815. Sadly, she died when she was about 2 years old. The couple are not known to have had any further children.
Like his father, and his brothers Francis Yarrow and William Yarrow, James worked as a farmer in the agricultural land surrounding his native Little Thetford. It is here in 1851 that he is noted as farming 133 acres and employing 5 men and 2 boys.
On that census night, his household includes nephew Henry Lister as a General Assistant; a Sarah Lythell as a General House Servant; and a William Sadler as (appropriately) a Horsekeeper.
It's clear that the couple must have been living reasonably comfortable to pay for all these employees.
James died in October 1855, and he was survived by his widow Phoebe by 16 years.
- Circa 1786 in Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 20th July 1786 at St. George's Church, Little Thetford in Cambridgeshire, England.
- Phoebe Pope (1793-1871) on 20th October 1811 at St. George's Church, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Harriet Yarrow (1815-1817)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 50yrs, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 64yrs, Hopkin Green Lane, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1841-1851: Farmer
- 26th October 1855 at Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 69 years.
- 2nd November 1855 with his wife Phoebe, at St. James's Church, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England. View headstone at FindAGrave.