John Brightwell (also John Brightly) was the youngest of the three known children of Robert Brightwell and his wife Mary Crane of Elveden, Suffolk, England.
John's first appearance outside of Elveden (and the first since his baptism) was in 1806 at Littleport, in the neighbouring county of Cambridgeshire, when he married Elizabeth Brown. The register notes him signing the register with an 'x'.
The couple remained in Littleport, where they settled down to have six children. However, their happy marriage came to an end in 1832 when Elizabeth died at just 46 years. Their youngest child Sarah, was just 3 years old.
John re-married in 1837 to widower Mary Hall (née Evans) of nearby Coveney, and the couple added one more child to the family, but sadly he died when he was about 8 years old.
John died during November 1855, and his widow Mary married for her third time to Robert Dennis of Littleport.
- circa 1788 in Elveden, Suffolk, England.
- Elizabeth Brown (1786-1832) on 10th February 1806 at St. George's Church, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mary Elizabeth Evans (1803-1865) on 17th September 1837 at St. George's Church, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Elizabeth Brightley (1807-1886) married William Gilbert (1807-1879)
- John Brightwell (1814-1871) married Mary Richardson (1816-?)
- Robert Brightwell (1814-1817)
- William Brightwell (1817-?)
- Mary Ann Brightwell (1828-?)
- Sarah Brightwell (1829-1844)
- Robert Hall Brightley (1840-1848)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 50yrs, Bell's Drove, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 60yrs, Bell's Drove, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1817, 1837: Labourer
- 1851: Agricultural Labourer
- During November 1855 at Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 67 years.
- 12th November 1855 at St. George's Church, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.