Nathan Cross was the third of the eleven known children of labourer James Cross and his wife Elizabeth Lee of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
Nathan married Charlotte Lee, who was probably a maternal cousin, and the couple had seven children between 1844 and 1861.
On September 21st 1878, The Cambridge Independent Press lists Nathan and his brother Obediah Cross, with both receiving a fine at the 'Ely Division Petty Sessions'. The report reads:
'Nathan Cross, Ely, allowing a cow to stray, fined 5s, and costs 13s 6d'.
Charlotte pre-deceased Nathan by 33 years in 1873, when their youngest child was about 12 years old. It appears that he did not re-marry.
At the time of the 1881 census, Nathan is now noted as a 63 year old widowed 'Carpenter', living at the house of his son, Nathan Cross in Queen Adelaide, Cambridgeshire, along with his son's wife and four children, and his own two unmarried daughters, Mary Jane Lee Cross and Charlotte Lee Cross. Nextdoor to the family, lives Nathan's brother, Uriah Cross and his family.
- circa 1818 at Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 2nd February 1818 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Charlotte Lee (1896-1873) on 24th November 1925 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- James Cross (1844-?)
- Elizabeth Ann Cross (1846-1902) married Alfred Sutton (1854-?)
- Nathan Lee Cross (1849-1903) married Susannah Wilson (1850-1911)
- Sarah Ann Cross (1852-?)
- Hannah Lee Cross (1854-?) married Abraham Lawrence (1851-?)
- Mary Jane Lee Cross (1858-1910)
- Charlotte Lee Cross (1861-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 20yrs, Turbotsey, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 33yrs, Clayway Drove, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: Ely census destroyed
- 1871: 53yrs, Queen Adelaide, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 63yrs, Cottage near Adelaide Bridge, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 73yrs, Cottage, Queen Adelaide, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 83yrs, Waterden, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1843: Labourer
- 1851: Agricultural Labourer
- 1871: Labourer
- 1873, 1881: Carpenter
- 1901: Woodman
- During May 1906 at Queen Adelaide, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 88 years.
- 23rd May 1906 in Grave G835 at Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.