At about the age of 24, Uriah married Emily Edwards of Postwick, Norfolk, England, and the couple settled in his native Ely to raise their family - that would eventually grow to 10 children.
When Uriah was about 25 years old, his father was held prisoner as a 'debtor' in the County Gaol at Castle Hill in Cambridge, although he returned home not long after.
By 1861, Uriah and Emily have begun attending the Ely Primitive Methodists Chapel, where they present several of their later children for baptism.
Perhaps his father's brush with prison had inspired Uriah, who seems to have done well for himself and his family. By 1871 he is noted as a Grocer and Farmer of 40 acres, employing 1 man and 1 boy. During the early 1880's Uriah and Emily are still living in Queen Adelaide, with relatives either side. Joining the couple are their two children Emily Cross and Herbert Cross. Their son, Jonathan, is living in Ely High Street, at the house of Arthur and Elizabeth Pledger, where he is working as a Draper's Assistant. Uriah eventually diversified into coal, and according to Kelly's Directory of 1883, he had become simply a 'Coal Merchant'. This entrepreneurial skill, must have embedded itself in the minds of some of his children - with both sons Uriah and Jabez starting their own business, and the latter employing some of his siblings too.
Uriah predeceased his wife Emily, by just under two years. She died during June 1912, aged 83 years and was buried alongside her husband. At the time of her death, she was living at Thorpe Cottage, Prickwillow Road, Ely.
- 1826 in Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 23rd September 1826 at Holy Trinity Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Emily Edwards (1829-1912) on 28th February 1850 at St Saviour's Church, Norwich, Norfolk, England.
- Uriah Edward Cross (1852-1940) married Jane Wilson (1853-1938)
- Jane Hannah Cross (1854-1906) married William Martin (1851-?)
- Jabez Cross (1856-1932) married Ellen West (1856-19??)
- Mary Cross (1860-1931)
- Jonathan Cross (1861-1929)
- Samuel Cross (1864-1940)
- Albert James Cross (1867-1956)
- Emily Cross (1870-1963)
- Herbert Cross (1873-1955)
- Marion Cross (1882-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 15yrs, Turbotsey, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 25yrs, Waterden Fen, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: Ely census destroyed
- 1871: 44yrs, Queen Adelaide, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 54yrs, Cottage near Adelaide Bridge, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 64yrs, Cottage at Queen Adelaide, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 74yrs, Cottage near Adelaide Bridge, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861-1864: Farmer
- 1871: Farmer and Grocer
- 1881: Coal Merchant and Farmer
- 1883-1891: Coal Merchant
- 28th November 1910 at Prickwillow Road, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 66 years.
- 3rd December 1910 in grave B1022 at Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.