Martha Evans (later Martha Burnell) was the sixth of the eight children of William Evans and his wife Elizabeth Chorley of Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
She was also the second 'Martha Evans' born to the couple, as her older namesake died the year before she was born.
Martha married labourer Robert Burnell in 1816, and the couple settled down to have seven children which included a set of twins. However, at least two of these children - both sons - died in childhood.
Whilst Robert is noted as a labourer during the census years, Martha's only profession appears on the 1851 census where she is noted as a 'laundress'. It is also at this time, that Martha appears as the head of the household - whilst her husband is seemingly away in Stogumber, Somerset visiting another Burnell relative.
Martha outlived her husband by ten years, after which she spent some time living with her married daughter Mary Baker. She died in the June quarter of 1873.
- Circa 1795 at Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- 21st June 1795 at St. Peter and St. Paul's Church, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- Robert Burnell (1783-1863) on 4th January 1816 at St. Peter and St. Paul's Church, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- Samuel Burnell (1816-1875) married Mary Babbage (1816-1873)
- James Burnell (1819-1833)
- Emily Burnell (1825-1845)
- Caroline Burnell (1828-1897) married John Radford (1827-?)
- Mary Burnell - twin (1832-?) married Andrew Baker (1826-?)
- Joseph Burnell - twin (1832-1834)
- Maria Burnell (1837-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 45yrs, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- 1851: 56yrs, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- 1861: 66yrs, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- 1871: 76yrs, Cottage, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- 1851: Laundress
- Circa May 1873 in Somerset, England.
- 1873, location not yet known.