Emma Jane Martin
She married John William Goodge, a farm labourer from nearby Littleport, and they lived in an area to the East of Little Downham called 'California', not far from her parents house.
The couple only appear to have had one child - a daughter named Mary, who was born in 1911.
In 1917, tragedy struck in the February when John was killed in France whilst serving in World War One. Just seven months later, Emma died too, leaving their daughter Mary - at most just 6yrs old - an orphan.
Their daughter Mary was looked after by Emma's mother, Sarah Elizabeth, but it is unclear as to what became of her in later years. Some relatives believe that she may have moved to London.
- 12th November 1887 in Little Downham Fen, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- John William Goodge (1885-1917) on 17th October 1907, at St. Leonard's Church, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mary Goodge (1911-?)
Census and Residence
- 1891: 3yrs, Railway House, A Furlong Drove, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1901: 13yrs, A Furlong Drove, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1911: 22yrs, California, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 17th September 1917 in the presence of her brother Isaac Watson Martin, at Pymoor Sidings, Pymoor, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 29yrs. Cause of death: '1. Peritonitis, 2. Gastric Ulcer - certified by F. H. Beckett MB'
- 21st September 1917 at Lawn Lane Cemetery, Little Downham, Cambridgeshire, England.