Daniel Silas Newman
Whilst starting his working life in agriculture as a labourer, like many of his siblings and ancestors, Daniel moved to County Durham in the north of England. Here he worked as a Railway Signalman for the North Eastern Railway (NER) for at least 30 years.
In 1876, Daniel married Rhoda Hart in County Durham, who was originally from Bottisham, Cambridgeshire, just a few miles from his birthplace.
The couple settled down to become parents eight times until Rhoda died when she was about 35 years old. Their youngest child was only about 12 months old.
Daniel swiftly re-married less than 2 years later, again in County Durham, but this time to Elizabeth Wilson. The couple added one further child to the Newman family.
Daniel died aged 70 in 1926, although it's not yet known whether he pre-deceased his second wife.
- 26th May 1855 at Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 9th September 1855 at St. Mary's Church, Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Rhoda Hart (1859-1894) during 1876 in County Durham, England.
- Elizabeth Wilson (1861-?) during 1896 in County Durham, England.
- Matilda Newman (1876-19??) married George Robert Purcifer (1875-19??)
- John C Newman (1878-?)
- Emma Newman (1880-?)
- Harriet Newman (1882-?)
- Arthur Newman (1884-?)
- Rose Newman (1887-?)
- Polly Newman (1890-?)
- Albert Newman (1893-?)
- Janet May Newman (1898-?)
Census and Residence
- 1861: 5yrs, Village Street, Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 15yrs, Mill Lane, Swaffham Bulbeck, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 25yrs, Bishop Middleham, County Durham, England.
- 1891: 35yrs, Junction Cottages, Norton, County Durham, England.
- 1901: 45yrs, Norton Junction, Norton, County Durham, England.
- 1911: 55yrs, 11 The Green, Norton, County Durham, England.
- 1871: Labourer
- 1881-1911: Railway Signalman for North Eastern Railway (NER)
- During the March quarter of 1926 in County Durham, England, aged 70 years.
- 1926, location not yet known.