- John Gilbert 1736-1807
- Mary Peck 17??-1805
Edward Gilbert was the third child of the five known children of John Gilbert, a farmer, and his wife Mary (née Peck) of Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire.
Edward married Susan Gillions of Wrestlingworth, Bedfordshire in nearby Gamlingay church - not really sure why - perhaps Wrestlingworth was booked or being repaired, or maybe they were getting married against their familiy's wishes?. The couple had ten known children, all baptised in Abbotsley.
In 1805, Edward Gilbert paid Land Tax at Abbotsley but he did not hold very much land. When Abbotsley was enclosed in 1837, Edward is noted as the occupier of a "house, barn, garden and fruit, the property of Jon Lincoln, rateable value £1.15.0". It is unclear as to whether the enclosures brought hardship to the Gilbert family or whether ailing health caused Edward and Susan to fall upon hard times.
By the time of the 1851 census, Edward and his wife appear at the home of their son-in-law, Thomas Cade where they are noted as lodgers and as paupers. Susan, and Thomas Cade are both noted as being blind. Mary Cade - Thomas' wife, and Edward and Susan's daughter, is noted as being deaf.
6th March 1774 at St. Margaret's Church, Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.
- Susan Gillions (1771-c.1859) on 2nd March 1795 at St. Mary The Virgin Church, Gamlingay, Cambirdgeshire, England.
- Sarah Gilbert (1795-?) married Samuel Haynes
- George Gilbert (1797-?)
- Mary Gilbert (1799-18??) married Thomas Cade (1799-18??)
- Elizabeth Gilbert (1802-?)
- Ellen Gilbert (1804-?) married Joseph Wilson (1804-?)
- William Gilbert (1807-1879) married Elizabeth Brightley (1807-1886)
- Eliza Gilbert (1809-?) married Joseph Tomlin (1809-?)
- John Gilbert (1813-?)
- Frances Gilbert (1818-?) married Daniel Worship (1814-?)
- 1841: 65yrs, Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.
- 1851: 77yrs, Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.
- 1818: Labourer
- 1838: Labourer
- 1851: Pauper
Possibly in December 1852 at Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire. Dec quarter, St Neots 3b/172.
8th December 1852 at St. Margaret's Churchyard, Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.