William Gilbert was the oldest of the six children of Edward Gilbert and his wife Susan Gillions of Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.
He married Elizabeth Brightley of Littleport in 1828, and the couple went on to have twelve children. Both signed their name with an X in the register at the time of their marriage.
It appears that their marriage was what brought William to Littleport. The couple lived at Burnt Chimney Drove, Littleport where they had a farm. He is noted on the censuses from 1841 through to 1871, being a 'Farmer of 20 acres' in 1851, 40 acres in 1861 and 1871.
William died of old age and general debility in 1879, with Elizabeth outliving him by 7 years, and appearing on the 1881 census at the same address living with their son, James Gilbert.
- circa 1807 in Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.
- 4th January 1807 at St. Margaret's Church, Abbotsley, Huntingdonshire, England.
- Elizabeth Brightley (1810-1886) on 25th January 1828 at St. George's Church, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Jane Gilbert (1828-?) married Joseph Jackson (18??-?) and later to George Merrell (18??-?)
- Sarah Gilbert (1830-?) married David Norman (18??-?)
- Joseph Gilbert (1833-?)
- Elizabeth Gilbert (1837-1849)
- Ann Gilbert (1838-1916) married William Drake (1821-18??)
- Mary Gilbert (1841-?)
- William Gilbert (1844-?)
- Martha Gilbert (1846-1892) married Golden Fletcher (1846-1918)
- James Gilbert (1848-1916) married Elizabeth Howlett (1856-1916)
- Elizabeth Gilbert (1850-?) married James Brightley (1850-?)
- Susan Gilbert (1852-?)
- William Gilbert (1855-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 40yrs, Burnt Chimney Drove, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 53yrs, Burnt Chimney Drove, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 61yrs, Westmoor, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 68yrs, Westmoor, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851-1879: Farmer at Burnt Chimney Drove
- 25th March 1879 at Westmoor, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England, of old age and debility, aged 76 years.
- 28th March 1879 at Littleport Cemetery, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.