Aaron Dewey was the eighth of the eleven children of George Dewey and the third of the five children with his second wife Mary Peyton of the village of Wentworth in Cambridgeshire, England.
On 18th March 1837, when Aaron was 23 years old, he appeared in court at Cambridge where he was found 'not guilty' of 'maiming a horse with two others'.
Recovering from this allegation, Aaron went on to have an illegitimate son named William Dewey with Ann Venny, whom he married about 4 years later.
However, just three years later, she died, and widower Aaron re-married in 1847 to an Elizabeth Taylor of Ely, who had already given birth to their daughter Victoria a couple of years earlier. Sadly she died in her infancy.
Aaron and Elizabeth, now married, became parents at least twice again, before Aaron died in May 1857.
His widow re-married in 1862 to labourer James Chapman.
- Circa 1818 in Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 24th May 1818 at St. Martin's Church, Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Ann Venny (1764-1834) on 12th October 1790 at St. Martin's Church, Witcham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mary Peyton (1782-18??) on 2nd August 1808 at St. Peter's Church, Wentworth, Cambridgeshire, England.
- William Dewey (1836-?)
- Victoria Dewey Taylor (1845-1847)
- Victoria Dewey (1848-1928) married John Gillson (1847-1924)
- Mary Ann Dewey (1851-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 20yrs, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1847: 29yrs, Waterside, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 37yrs, Common Muckhill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1841: Agricultural Labourer
- 1851: Labourer
- May 1857 at Common Muckhill, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 38 years.
- 31st May 1857 at Ely City Cemetery, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England, after a funeral at Holy Trinity Church, Ely.