Sarah Jane Franks
Sarah Jane Franks (later Sarah Jane Giddings) was one of at least two children, but her parents are currently unknown.
She married Daniel Watson Giddings of March, Cambridgeshire in 1825 and the couple went on to have eight children, all born in March, Cambridgeshire, England.
Sarah is not listed alongside her husband and family at the time of the 1851 census. Instead, she's noted as a Nurse at the house of farmer Matthew Laxon - the head of a household who had recently had a new addition to their family.
Sarah is noted on the 1861 Census returns as having been born in a place called "Copenforth, Norfolk" but there is no match for this place name in Norfolk or the rest of the country. The closest, is Coppingford in Cambridgeshire, just a few miles away from March. By the time of the 1871 Census, she states that she was born in March, Cambridgeshire.
A Franks family does appear on the 1861 Census for March and the couple (the head is perhaps a brother called William) state that they are from Guyhirn - which is just a few miles North of March - and so her origins are a little confusing.
On the 1881 Census she is living as a widow almswoman and by the 1891 Census she is "living by her own means" and is noted as a visitor at the house of her daugher and son-in-law Vincent and Susan Turner of West End, March, Cambridgeshire.
Sarah played a prominent role at the Providence Baptist Chapel in March, Cambridgeshire, and appears many times in the chapel's records as 'Sister Sarah Giddings'. It was here that she was baptised at the age of about 51 years.
- 1803 in Coppingford, Huntingdonshire, England.
- 6th August 1854 at March Providence Chapel, March, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Daniel Watson Giddings (1798-1878) on 12th April 1825, at March, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Susan Ann Giddings (1826-1908) married Vincent Turner (1827-1922)
- Mary Ann Giddings (1826-?) married Levi Newman (1826-?)
- Watson Giddings (1829-1902) married Ann Thorpe (1829-1875), and Emma Spooncer (1839-1912)
- Elizabeth Giddings (1831-1873) married Charles Lincoln (1852-1887)
- Sarah Giddings (1835-1869)
- Edward Franks Giddings (1839-1912) married Sarah Jane Payne (1829-1910)
- Abraham Giddings - twin (1841-1842)
- Levi Giddings - twin (1841-1842)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 35yrs, Hurst Lane, Doddington, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: 48yrs, Town End, March, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1861: 56yrs, Burrow Moor, March, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 68yrs, Alms House, March, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 78yrs, Alms House, March, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 88yrs, West End, March, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1851: Nurse for Matthew Laxon (Farmer)
- 14th February 1892 in March, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 90 years.
- 18th February 1892 at the Cemetery, after a service at The Providence Baptist Chapel, March, Cambridgeshire, England.