Joseph Barker was the oldest of the seven known children of James Barker and his wife Sophia Taylor of the Barkway in Hertfordshire, England.
When Joseph was about 25 years old, he married Esther Hawks at Barkway, and the couple settled down to have 13 children. However, in 1838, the couple had their final child - a daughter - but sadly she died at just 1 hour old. She had no name.
Throughout his life, Joseph worked in agriculture - mostly as a labourer, but he is also noted as a 'hay binder during the 1830s.
Joseph pre-deceased Esther by 16 years in the summer of 1859. After his death, Esther can be seen on the 1861 census as a Pauper.
- circa 1784 in Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- 29th October 1786 at St. Mary Magdalene Church, Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- Esther Hawks (1790-1875) on 24th May 1809 at St. Mary Magdalene Church, Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- Lydia Barker (1810-?)
- James Barker (1813-?)
- Sarah Barker (1815)
- Sarah Barker (1816-1819)
- Elizabeth Barker (1820-?)
- William Barker (1823-1892) married Mary Head (1829-1892)
- Samuel Barker (1825-1878) married Rhoda Bunyan (1821-1863), and later to Sarah (18??-?)
- Martha Barker (1825-?)
- Ann Barker (1827-?) married William Camp (1825-?)
- Sarah Barker (1830)
- Nathaniel Barker (1832-1906) married Mary Ann Camp (1834-1918)
- Esther Barker (1835-?)
- un-named Barker (1838)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 45yrs, High Street, Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- 1851: 66yrs, High Street, Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- 1815-1823: Labourer
- 1832-1835: Hay Binder
- 1841, 1851: Agricultural Labourer
- During July 1859 at Barkway, Hertfordshire, England, aged 75 years.
- 30th July 1859 at St. Mary Magdalene Church, Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.