Samuel married Mary Babbage on Christmas Day of 1839 in Combe Florey, Somerset. Together they had at least eleven children born in Lydiard St Lawrence and Combe Florey, Somerset. A second, and youngest son named 'John Burnell' appears in the family group, although the couple already had a child of this name. His true identity is not clear - perhaps it was an illegitimate grandson?
In 1861, Samuel and his family are living in the Poor Houses of Combe Florey, Somerset, whilst Samuel is noted as a 'Road Contractor'.
- 24th March 1816 at Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- 21st April 1816, at the church of St. Peter and Paul at Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- Mary Babbage (1816-1887) on 25th December 1839 at Church of St. Peter & St. Paul, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- Sarah Burnell (1840-?)
- James Burnell (1841-?)
- John Burnell (1844-18??)
- Robert Burnell (1846-?)
- William Burnell (1848-?)
- George Burnell (1850-1891) married Mary Ann Barker (1854-1929)
- Susannah Burnell (1852-?)
- Mary Ann Burnell (1855-?)
- Elizabeth Burnell (1857-?)
- Jane Burnell (1861-?)
- John Burnell (1864-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 25yrs, Sandings, Lydiard St. Lawrence, Somerset, England.
- 1851: 36yrs, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- 1861: 49yrs, Poor Houses, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- 1871: 58yrs, Cottage, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- 1850: Labourer
- 1861: Road Contractor
- 1875: Farm Labourer
- 3rd August 1875 at Combe Florey, Somerset, England, Cause of death: '1. Asthma (10 years), 2. Anasarca (4 months) - certified by W. A. Deane MRCS'
- During August 1875, presumably at Combe Florey, Somerset, England.