Edward Jarman Clarke
Edward Jarman Clarke (also known as Edward Bailey and Edward Germany Clarke) was the second illegitimate and second oldest of the nine children of Mary Clarke of Wattisfield and Botesdale in Suffolk, England.
By the time of the 1841 census, he was living with his sister, Caroline Clarke, his step-father William Bailey and his step-siblings. His mother was absent - serving a six month hard labour sentence at Ipswich County Gaol for cruelty and mistreatment of William Bailey's children from his first marriage.
Ten years later he appears as an inmate at the Ling School of Industry, at The Ling, Wortham, Suffolk, under the name of Edward Bailey.
It appears that Edward, like his sister Caroline, found his way to Littleport, Cambridgeshire. It is here in 1861 where they both appear living nextdoor to each other, with Edward working as an Agricultural Labourer. Both he and his sister are married by this time, with Edward having married Martha Bitton the previous year.
Edward and Martha had eleven children (as revealed on the 1911 census) but sadly the youngest, May, died when she was no more than a year old in 1889.
The couple move around a little, and on census returns, Edward often claims to have been born in various locations including Yorkshire and Terrington, Norfolk. Perhaps he didn't really know.
Edward appears to have pre-deceased his wife in 1906, with his widow Martha dying in 1913.
- 10th January 1837 in Wattisfield, Suffolk, England.
- 22nd October 1837 at St. Margaret's Church, Wattisfield, Suffolk, England.
- Martha Bitton (1842-1913) on 24th November 1860 at St. George's Church, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Edward Clarke (1863-?) married Emma Clarke (1869-?)
- Joseph James Clarke (1865-?)
- Caroline Clarke (1868-?)
- Philip Clarke (1870-?)
- George Clarke (1873-?)
- Zedekiah Clarke (1875-?)
- Ernest Ellis Clarke (1878-?)
- Ann Mary Clarke (1881-?)
- Susan Clarke (1884-?)
- Emila Eva Clarke (1885-?)
- May Clarke (1888-1889)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 4yrs, Back Hills, Botesdale, Suffolk, England.
- 1851: 14yrs, Ling House Of Industry, Botesdale, Suffolk, England.
- 1861: 23yrs, Mildenhall Road, Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1871: 32yrs, Upgate Street, Southery, Norfolk, England.
- 1881: 42yrs, Poppylot Road, Methwold, Norfolk, England.
- 1891: 53yrs, Ferry Bank, Southery, Norfolk, England.
- 1901: 61yrs, Little London,Southery, Norfolk, England.
- 1851: Pauper for Ling House of Industry
- 1861-1871: Agricultural Labourer
- 1881-1891: Shepherd
- 1901: Agricultural Labourer
- During 1906 in the Downham district of Cambridgeshire, England, aged 63 years.
- Not yet known.