John Lythell (also known as John Lithel and John Lithewell) was the second of the eight known children of John Lythell and his wife Mary Finch of Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.
John married Mary Taylor at Soham in 1790, and the couple settled down to become parents at least five times before Mary died, aged about 30, in February 1805. The couple's youngest child was no more than five years old.
John went on to re-marry, but in 1806 he is noted as the reputed father of son Elijah Lythell.
He seems to turn up again in parish records in 1808, when two daughters are brought to Stretham church to be baptised in 1808.
Then in 1815 he marries Frances Howard. In doing so, she became what appears to have been his third and final wife in 1815 and the couple added at least five more children to his family.
John died in November 1830, and his widow Frances swiftly took their young family, who were all between the ages of 13 and 3 years old, to be christened at Stretham's parish church. Life must have been tough for her, but she remained a widow.
Frances remained in Stretham her entire life, and died in May 1863 - out-living John by 33 years.
- Circa 1772 at Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- As 'John Lithewell' on 1st May 1772 at St. Mary's Church, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Mary Taylor (1775-1805) on 10th October 1790 at St. Andrew's Church, Soham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Frances Howard (1789-1863) on 30th January 1815 at St. Mary's Church, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.
- William Lythell (1791-?)
- Miles Lythell (1795-?)
- Elizabeth Lythell (1796-?)
- Thomas Lythell (1798-?)
- Mary Lythell (1800-?)
- Elijah Lythell (1806-1849) married Susanna Murfitt (1812-1879)
- Alice Lythell (1808-?)
- Mary Lythell (1808-?) married William Morden (1803-?)
- Sarah Lythell (1817-?)
- William Lythell (1819-1889)
- Rebecca Lythell (1820-1889) married William Dewsbury (1811-1885)
- Eliza Lythell (1823-18??) married Edward Rowell (18??-?)
- Ann Lythell (1827-18??) married John Roberts (1822-18??)
- During November 1830 at Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England, aged 58yrs.
- 20th November 1830 at St. Mary's Church, Stretham, Cambridgeshire, England.