William Barker (also known as Will Barker) was the seventh of the thirteen known children of Joseph Barker and his wife Esther Hawks of the village of Barkway, in Hertfordshire, England.
William married Mary Head of Barkway in the autumn of 1847, and the couple became parents nine times.
He worked in agriculture all his life, and is noted as a Hay Binder by the time of the 1861 census - which whilst he has yet to be located (as he was probably away working the fields), his wife is noted as a 'Hay binder's wife'. In 1880, he is briefly noted as a "Carpenter".
William was pre-deceased by his wife Mary by only a few months in early 1892, and he died in nearby Royston, Hertfordshire.
- circa 1823 in Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- 16th March 1823 at St. Mary Magdalene Church, Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- Mary Head (1829-1892) on 23rd October 1847 at St. Mary Magdalene Church, Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- Joseph Barker (1849-?)
- Louisa Barker (1850-1923) married Henry Judd (1847-1918)
- Mary Ann Barker (1854-1929) married George Burnell (1850-1891), and later to James Smith (1861-1925)
- Harriet Eliza Barker (1856-?)
- Henry Barker (1859-?)
- Elizabeth Barker (1861-?)
- Esther Barker (1864-19??) married James Warren (1860-1901)
- Thomas Barker (1866-1913) married Anna Townes (1867-1953)
- Frances Barker (1869-1907) married Charles Thomas Ault (1869-1948)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 18yrs, High Street, Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- 1851: 28yrs, High Street, Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- 1861: Not yet found.
- 1871: 41yrs, Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- 1881: 59yrs, High Street Cottage, Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- 1891: 70yrs, High Street, Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- 1851: Agricultural Labourer
- 1861: Hay Binder
- 1871: Agricultural Labourer
- 1881-1892: Farm Labourer
- During June 1892 at Royston, Hertfordshire, England, aged 70 years.
- 21st June 1892 at St. Mary Magdalene Church, Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.