Robert Burnell's parents are currently unknown, with his place of birth varying from census to census.
He married Martha Evans of Combe Florey, Somerset, England, in 1816 and the couple are known to have had seven children, which included a set of twins.
Robert does not appear on the 1851 census with his wife. Whilst she appears with their children, in Combe Florey, Robert appears to be a few miles away in Stogumber as a 'visitor' at the house of John Burnell and wife Elizabeth. It is unclear what Robert and John's relationship was, but they could have been brothers. Robert re-appears for his final census back with his wife.
Robert worked as a labourer since at least 1816. He pre-deceased his wife by 10 years.
- circa 1783 at Morebath, Devon, England.
- Martha Evans (1793-1873) on 4th January 1816 at St. Peter and Paul Church, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- Samuel Burnell (1816-1875) married Mary Babbage (1816-1873)
- James Burnell (1819-1833)
- Emily Burnell (1825-1845)
- Caroline Burnell (1828-1897) married John Radford (1827-?)
- Mary Burnell - twin (1832-?) married Andrew Baker (1826-?)
- Joseph Burnell - twin (1832-1834)
- Maria Burnell (1837-?)
Census and Residence
- 1841: 50yrs, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- 1851: 66yrs, Hantrow Barton, Stogumber, Somerset, England.
- 1861: 78yrs, Combe Florey, Somerset, England.
- 1816-1839: Labourer
- 1841, 1861: Agricultural Labourer
- circa 1863 in Somerset, England.
- Location not yet known.