Thomas Kempton Yarrow
Thomas Kempton Yarrow was the second of the four children of publican, butcher and farmer Owen Yarrow, and his wife Elizabeth Kempton of Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
Thomas' father was the publican of The Three Horse Shoes in the middle of Little Thetford on several occasions during the 19th century, and so his childhood was spent living in the pub, and working in agriculture in adult life as a Farmer.
In 1890, he married Elizabeth Kempton - a daughter of the Kempton family who ran a bakery business in nearby Ely.
The couple remained in Little Thetford, where they raised four children, although sadly their marriage would only last for eight years, when Thomas died aged just 36 years old.
His widow Kate lived for a further 20 years, returning to her native Ely to live with her brother Herbert Kempton, where she and the children found work at the family bakery.
Sadly, she bore the tragic loss of their son Thomas, who enrolled with the 1st Cambridge Battalion but died from wounds in 1916 during the First World War. He is commemorated on his mother's headstone in Ely Cemetery.
- 1862 at Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Kate Sarah Kempton (1859-1918) on 1st January 1890 at St. Mary's Church, Ely, Cambridgeshire, England.
- Frank Kempton Yarrow (1890-1936) married Ethel Mary Hills (1890-1958)
- Harold Frederick Yarrow (1892-1958) married Esther Julia Colbran (1891-?)
- Thomas Owen Yarrow (1894-1916)
- Kathleen Mary Yarrow (1896-?)
Census and Residence
- 1871: 8yrs, The Three Horse Shoes Public House, Principal Street, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: 18yrs, The Three Horse Shoes Public House, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1891: 27yrs, Front Street, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 1881: Farmer's Son
- 1891: Farmer
- During March 1898 in Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.
- 15th March 1898 at St. George's Church, Little Thetford, Cambridgeshire, England.