On 28th February 1876, she is noted in her school admission book as: "Readmitted Esther Barker - a great girl of 12 years old but only in 3rd class having attended school so irregularly".
Esther worked as a Domestic Servant in London during the 1880s, close to when she married railway labourer James Warren. The couple settled down to have at least four children.
For the 1891 census, the family are joined by a 'Daisey Greades Burdett', aged 5 months old. She is noted as being a 'nurse child', but it's unclear whether she's a relative or not.
However, by the time of the 1901 census, Esther has become a widow. She is living at this time in Acton, Middlesex, with her daughter Edith, and sons Albert and Alfred, and has taken work as a laundry manageress.
It is currently unclear whether she re-married, or remained a widow, as I have not yet been able to locate her in 1911.
- 1864 at Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- 12th June 1864 at St. Mary Magdalene's Church, Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- James Warren (1860-1901) on 31st May 1888 at the Church of St. John the Evangelist, Charlotte Street, Camden, Middlesex, England.
- Edith Warren (1887-?)
- Joseph Warren (1889-?)
- Albert G Warren (1891-?)
- Alfred J Warren (1894-?)
Census and Residence
- 1871: 6yrs, Barkway, Hertfordshire, England.
- 1881: 17yrs, Osborn House, Cambridge Court, Putney, London, England.
- 1888: 28 Warren Street, Camden, Middlesex, England.
- 1891: 28yrs, Colva Street, Camden, Middlesex, England.
- 1901: 36yrs, 6 Beaumont Road, Acton, Middlesex, England.
- 1881: General Domestic Servant for Alf Taylor (Solicitor's Managing Clerk)
- 1901: Laundry Manageress
- Not yet known.
- Not yet known.